What happens if you dont fuse?
:) Don't want to upset anyone
Leave a comment...
- 5 Comments
- The big big question is how do you know. What test did they run for you. My surgery was April 2005. My exrays show several gaps in it surrounding the hardware. I've had two doctors look at it, and even the the reader states that the fusion didn't take. So they, Or I should say my surgeon is recommening another proceedure. I go this week for a second opinion. The hardware from what I understand is just a temporary item to stabilize you spine. The fusion makes it solid. You should have your doctor explain it to you. Good luck with your recovery.
Tim#1; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:21:00 GMT
- I cannot find any information on that question. I know of a lady that did not want to quit her smoking and the fusion did not take. She had plans of golfing this summer, but now she is a mess. The Doctor cannot help her until she stops the smoking. She has to make a choice.
As many fusions that are done everyday, and over the years, that information has been recorded and it is a fact that what the Doctor tells you to do, and what not to do while in recovery, will give you the best chance for a successful outcome. If you go against proven advice and not do as prescribed, then you may have to go for do over. I know that there are a few cases where someone did everything right and still did not fuse, but there were other healing issues that were the cause. However, if you do everything that the doctor asks you to do, you should have no worries.#2; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:23:00 GMT
- All I know is I didn't fuse 3 times now and I don't smoke . I am doing everything the doctor tells me this time . My surgeon knows when this is fused my hardware WILL be removed. He said it had to be a solid fusion first.#3; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:24:00 GMT
- My boyfriend had his surgery in Dec 2005 and just found out thru and MRI and CT scan that the bones didn't fuse at all. The doctor doesn't see anything happening. My boyfriend doesn't smoke. He is going to try again and do surgery in 4 weeks and put more BMP in. The surgeon said that eventually the hardware becomes loose when you don't fuse and it could shift and cause alot of pain.
Lynne#4; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:25:00 GMT
- I kinda laugh when I sit and think about fusing . My surgeon told me I was fusing and when I went to my IME (workers comp Dr exam ) he told me he didn't see any sign of fusion, I told my surgeon what he said and he got pretty upset,,BUT after my surgeon went in to clean scar tissue and remove hardware ,guess what ?? I wasn't fused...had to add more bone and protein.
So here I go again...playing the waiting game.#5; Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:26:00 GMT